CAT 2018: Registration, Exam Dates, Eligibility, Syllabus, Exam Pattern
CAT 2018 : CAT 2018 Notification has been released on 29th July 2018. It will be conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) on a rotation basis. It will be organized for providing admission to various management courses offered by the IIMs. CAT (Common Admission Test) is a national level examination. On the basis of CAT score, candidates can also get admission into other management colleges. This year, it will be regulated by IIM, Calcutta. In this article, we have mentioned complete information about CAT 2019 application form, exam dates, eligibility & exam pattern.
CAT 2019 Exam Dates
Check here official dates of the CAT 2019 examination. Other dates will be updated soon:
|Notification Release||29th July 2018|
|Online Registration Starts||8th August 2018|
|Last date for Registration||19th September 2018|
|Application Correction Starts||4th week of September 2018|
|Admit Card Downloading Starts||24th October 2018 onwards|
|Mock Test||3rd week of October 2018|
|CAT Aptitude Test||25th November 2018|
|Cut Off Release||Last week of November 2018|
|Answer Key Release||1st week of December 2018|
|Result Announcement||2nd week of January 2019|
CAT Registration 2019
In this section, candidates can get information about CAT 2019 registration details such as starting date, fee, documents, etc.
- The registration window for the exam will be opened from the8th August 2018 through online
- Candidates will register for exam till the 19th September 2018.
- Uploadyour images (Photogrpah Dimension: 30mm X 45mm, Size: not more than 80KB) and ( Signature Dimension: 80mm X 35mm, Size: not more than 80KB) in a JPG/JPEG
- At the time of registration, candidates must upload their category certificate(If belong to NC-OBC/SC/ST/PwD category).
- During registration, candidates also have to fill choices of four test citiesas per their preferences.
- Take a print copyof CAT application form 2019 for further use.
- Candidates can pay the registration fee through onlinepayment modes.
- The online payment modes are credit cards (Visa/Master/Amex/Diners Club), debit cards (Visa/Master/Rupay), net banking and Cash Card & Wallet.
- The application fee details are given below:
|All other categories||Rs. 1800 + Transaction Procession Fee|
|SC, ST and PwD||Rs. 900 + Transaction Procession Fee|
Check Here – How to Fill CAT 2019 Application Form
The institution will provide the correction facility in the application. All correction related details are mentioned below:
- Candidates can make a correction in the application in the fourth week of September 2018through online mode.
- The CAT 2019 application correction will be done only in some particulars.
- Last year, the correction will be allowed only in some personal detailssuch as address, category, gender, work experience, educational information, interview city preference, exam city preferences, etc.
- If candidates have made mistake in personal details, other personal details, communication address, uploaded documents, then they have to register again with a new email ID.
- Candidates will do the correction through User ID & password.
CAT 2018 Eligibility
Eligibility for CAT exam has not been changed by IIM Calcutta for CAT 2018. CAT 2018 Eligibility criteria points also feature some aspirant friendly changes. IIMs have kept the eligibility for CAT Exam on the same ground. The only eligibility criterion change in CAT eligibility was introduced in 2014 when CAT convening IIM Indore had announced to accept two years of graduation in CAT exam.
50% marks in Graduation
According to CAT 2018 eligibility, a candidate is eligible to appear in CAT 2018, if he/she holds Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. The candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA) categories need only 45% marks.
Final year students eligible to apply
CAT exam eligibility criteria further clarify that candidates in final year of Graduation are also eligible to apply for CAT 2018.
If selected, such candidates will be allowed to join the programme provisionally, only if she/he submits a certificate latest by June 30, 2019 from the Principal/ Registrar of the College/Institute (issued on or before June 30, 2019) stating that the candidate has completed all the requirements for obtaining the bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate
CAT Syllabus 2018
CAT analyses the skills of the aspirant in four sections: Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability, Logical & Analytical Reasoning and Data Interpretation. It is also a test of time management.
- Mathematics or Quantitative Section
Some of the core concepts in maths and quant subjects are:
|Geometry||HCF & LCM||Averages|
|Mensuration||Profit & Loss||Time-Speed-Distance|
|Ratios and Proportion||In-equations Quadratic and linear equations||Surds and Indices|
|Number system||Geometric Progression||Inequalities|
|Work and time||Percentages||Logarithms|
2. English or Verbal Section
Prominent topics in this section are:
|Fill in the blanks||Verbal Reasoning||Sentence completion|
|Para Completion and inference||Contextual usage||Foreign language words used in English|
|Reading Comprehension||Analogies||Sentence correction|
|Verbal Logic||Different usage of same word||Idioms|
|Parajumbles||Antonyms||One word substitution|
3. Analytical Reasoning Section
Important topics under AR are:
|Puzzles||Clocks and Calenders||Statements|
|Data Arrangement||Family Tree||Binary Logic|
|Seating Arrangement||Venn Diagram||Sets|
4. Data Interpretation Section
Problems related to organised and unorganised data are quite common in this section. Core topics are as follows:
|Bars||Line Graphs||Data Sufficiency|
CAT 2018 test prep:
|IIM Cut Offs 2017 – Category Wise and Sectional Wise||Scored low in CAT? Don’t fret, you can still get a good college|
|CAT 2018: How to prepare without quitting your job||CAT 2018: Preparation Plan for Verbal Ability|
|Quantitative Aptitude preparation plan for CAT 2018||CAT 2018: Preparation Plan for Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning|
|CAT 2018 preparation: Your love for reading can get you the desired result||CAT 2018: Simple tips to optimize exam preparation|
CAT Pattern 2018
The CAT 2018 question paper will consist of the following sections:
|Quantitative Aptitude (QA)||34||60 minutes|
|Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)||32||60 minutes|
|Verbal and Reading Comprehension (VRC)||34||60 minutes|
Candidates will be given 180 minutes to answer the questions. Each section is allotted 60 minutes. The candidates cannot choose any section to start with or switch from one section to another. They will have to follow the question paper chronologically, from section 1-3. The chronology of the sections will be Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Aptitude.
This year, there is a slight change in the question paper pattern. In CAT 2018 the number of MCQs may be reduced and the number of key-in questions will be increased.
Total marks of CAT 2018 paper will be 300. Each question will carry 3 marks. There will be negative marking of -1 for each wrong answer. There will be no deduction of marks incase a candidate chooses not to attempt a given question.
Some questions in each section may not be of multiple choice type, thus the answers will have to be typed on the screen.
Use of basic onscreen calculator will be allowed for computation.
Candidates should check some CAT preparation tips & tricks for How to prepare for CAT exam:
- Firstly, understand the exam pattern& syllabus by going through previous years question papers & official guidelines.
- Study from the reliable study material& CAT books.
- Make short noteson short tricks & important topics.
- Avoid unhealthy food/drinks and stay fit & healthy.
- Try to solve one online mock testevery day.
- Reviseeach section of the exam within a week.