BMLT- Degree Course: Eligibility, Duration, Curriculum, Opportunities & Jobs
BACHELOR IN MEDICAL LABORATORY TECHNOLOGY (BMLT)
BMLT (Bachelor in Medical Laboratory Technology): BMLT is three year’s degree course which has largest and impoverished wings in the modern healthcare field. The program aims to provide the aspirant with sufficient knowledge and skills to carry out routine laboratory diagnostic procedures and some sophisticated laboratory diagnostic procedures.
It deals with new advances in management of Laboratories, Instrumentation, methodology or standardization, Standard Protocols and use of technology as relates to Laboratory Investigations etc. With the advancement of medical science, the physician requires the help of medical laboratories for the treatment of rapidly growing diseases in the needs of skilled persons / employees. Medical laboratory technologists do routine laboratory testing under stipulated conditions. Technologists may prepare specimens and operate machines that automatically analyze samples. This program will help the aspirants to work in the research area as assistants.
It is complementary to medical science. It involves analysis of body matter such as fluid, tissue, and blood. It also covers micro-organism screening, chemical analyses, and cell count. These professionals play an important role in collecting information, sampling, testing, reporting and documenting medical investigations.
- Students should cleared 12th in Science Stream (Physics, Chemistry, Math & Biology) with minimum 50% (45% for SC/ ST) from a recognized educational Board.
- M.L.T is a graduate medical lab technologist program, course is of 3 years, and its syllabus is divided into 6 semesters.
- Basics of Anatomy & Physiology-I
- Basics of Anatomy & Physiology-II
- Basic computer skills
- Communication skills in English
- Specimen Collection, Handling & Safety
- Lab Instrumentation & Techniques
- Haematology & Anaemia work up
- Bacteriology , Histopathology & Serology
- General & Clinical Pathology
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Blood Transfusion Technique
- Glucose & Lipids
- Proteins & Diagnostic Enzymology
- Electrolytes, Acid base balance, Minerals, Vitamins & Automation
- Histotechnology & Cytology
- Histology Routine & Special Staining
- Examination of Body Fluids
- Haematosis & Automation
- Systemic Bacteriology
- Mycology, Virology & Quality Control
- Professional Practices in Physiotherapy-I
- Frozen Section Techniques
- Dissertation Project
MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery)
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AND JOB Options
The course offers ample of opportunities to the students after the completion. BMLT Holders can start their own clinical laboratory. This can be started under the supervision of the pathologists.
A large number of private clinics, nursing homes, blood donation centers, pathology research facilities etc. hire such lab specialist.
They can also work as Laboratory manager/Consultant/ supervisor, health care Administrator, Hospital Outreach coordination, laboratory information system Analyst/Consultant, educational consultant/ coordinator etc.
Job Types for BMLT
- X – Ray Technician
- Laboratory Technician
- System Analyst
- Lab Medicine Technician
- R & D Contractual Lab Technician
- Lab Manager
- CT Scan Technicians
- MRI Technicians
- Optical Laboratory technicians
Employment Sectors for BMLT
- Public health facilities
- Nursing Homes
- Commercial Laboratories
- Blood Banks
- Doctor’s Clinics
- Minor Emergency Centers
- Universities/ Institutions