Undergraduate: | BPT | Description | Admission Procedure | Duration | Curriculum| PG Course |Career Opportunities
Physiotherapy is a one of the ancient sciences of curing that helps improve movement dysfunction, and promote functions of the human body and optimal health. This involves assessment, diagnosis and treatment of disease and disability through physical means. In India, A physiotherapist uses the “Doctor” as a suffix with prefix ‘P.T’ (Doctor of Physiotherapy). BPT stands an undergraduate course i.e. Bachelor of Physiotherapy or known as Physical Therapy
Physiotherapists is an independent health professional which help patients rehabilitate from a state of incapacity due to genetic defect or the result of an accident or illness. Hence, you must have thorough knowledge of the human anatomy and the intricacies of bones, muscles and nerves.
Unlike the traditional branches of medicine, physiotherapy doesn’t rely extensively on the use of drugs and medicine. Instead, it relies on the use of physical treatment to improve the situation. It is a non-surgical treatment process aimed to reduce pain, improving movement & restoring functionality in order to improve the patient’s health. The practice of physiotherapy is devoted to movement sciences & it concerned with the function of the body systems. The person who is specialized in this field in known as “Physiotherapist”.
BPT Course Details
|Full form||Bachelor of Physiotherapy|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent|
|Duration||Four and Half years|
|Fee Offered||1 Lakh INR to 5 Lakh INR|
|Course Type||Regular mode|
|Starting salary offered||2,00,000 INR – 5,00,000 INR|
|Advance Courses||Master of Physiotherapy|
|Employment opportunities||Physiotherapist, Rehabilitation Specialist, Consultant, Sports physiotherapist|
Candidates wishing to pursue the course are needed to fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria listed below in order to apply for the course:
1. Higher Secondary (10+2) or equivalent qualification, completed from a recognized university, in the Science stream, with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as main subjects.
2. A minimum aggregate score of 50% or equivalent CGPA at the 10+2 level (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates).
3. Student should have 17years of age.
Duration of Course:
BPT course duration is 4½ years long. Regular classroom sessions and clinical sessions constitute 4 years of the academic program. 6 months are dedicated towards internship. So, in total, the course duration is of 4½ years!
Curriculum & Syllabus
1ST YEAR SUBJECTS-
- Introduction to Physiotherapy
- First aid and nursing
- Food Science and nutrition
- Communication skills
2ND YEAR SUBJECTS-
- Clinical observation
- Exercise therapy
3RD YEAR SUBJECT-
- Sports science and medicine
- General medicine and surgery
- Physiotherapy in general medicine and surgery
- Rehabilitation science
4TH YEAR SUBJECT
- Medical ethics
- Physiotherapy in Cardio disorders
- Physiotherapy in respiratory disorders
After completion of the final year examination, successful students have to go through 6 months of internship. Internship period is equally divided across departments such as Orthopaedics, Neurology, General Surgery, General Medicine and Physiotherapy. The final Degree would be awarded to those students who manage to complete the internship with satisfactory performance.
Check More Medical Colleges
- MBBS Admission in India 2018
- Top Medical Colleges in Delhi NCR 2018
- Top Medical Colleges in Maharashtra 2018
- Top Medical Colleges in Karnataka 2018
- Top Medical Colleges in Uttar Pradesh 2018
A career in physiotherapy can lead to a variety of interesting and challenging jobs in the health care system.
In today’s generation, people are facing so many muscular skeletal problems in their daily lifestyle. The life is very busy and we have been habitual of the mechanization. Due to not using the muscles capacity in our daily life, we used to have backache, sciatica, lumbago and many disabilities.
The physiotherapist is one who helps in curing such disorders. A physio can be a health counsellor, doctor, physical trainer and sports coach.
A lot of people prefer physiotherapy as it treats many diseses without using any drugs or surgery that is the reason that it is accepted worldwide.
Here are some common job profiles available in front of BPT graduates-
- Rehabilitation specialist
- Sports physiotherapist
- Research professional
- And may more…
Physiotherapy jobs may be found at:
- Community Health Centres,
- Mental Health Centres,
- Nursing Homes/Private Care Centres,
- Rehabilitation Centres,
- Sports Clinics,
- Fitness Centres
- Government Hospitals
- The Institute Of The Physically Handicapped
- Defence Medical Establishments
- Teaching Establishments
- Their Own Clinic
PG Course after BPT
After securing BPT degree, aspirant can purse PG course with MPT in various field like
- MPT Cardio – pulmonary Science
- MPT Community Physiotherapy
- MPT Neuroscience
- MPT Orthopedics
- MPT Pediatrics and Women Health
- MBA in Hospital Management
- MBA in health Care Management
- Master in public Health
Apart from this they can also pursue non medical course like