Undergraduate: | BUMS | Description | Admission Procedure | Duration | Curriculum| PG Courses |Career Opportunities|
BUMS denote Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery and cover the medical information about the Unani System.
Unani medicine for Perso – Arabic traditional medicine system was basically origin in South Asia – & Middle Eastern Countries of the World. The Unani system of medicine originated in Greece. This system refers to the Roman medication system developed by the Roman physician “Galen”. In the middle age era and by the development of this system, the Arabic and Persian physician have been adopted and flagged this system.
Hippocrates is known as the father of Unani system of medicine. This system of medicine was brought to India by the Arabs. Soon after its introduction, this system of medicine became very popular in India. It is also known as the “Hikmat” or Unani Tibb Medicine. It has the 6000 years back history.
Unani system is known as the science and art of healing. According to this system, disease is a natural process. The body reacts to the disease and shows its presence through symptoms. Unani medicine system focuses on aiding the body’s natural healing power to reduce these symptoms, thus bringing relief to the patient and curing him/her in the process.
Unani is based on the principles of four humours: blood in human body, phlegm, yellow bile and black bile. Fire, water, earth and air are the four components of this system. It has greater significance in the treatment and management of diseases like infertility, weight loss, vitiligo, diabetes, kidney stone, etc.
Unani is the fourth most popular medication system in India after the Allopathic, Ayurvedic & Homeopathic system. Unani Medicine first arrived in India around 12th or 13th century of Delhi Sultanate (1206 – 1527) and Islamic rule over North India and subsequently flourished under Mughal Empire. An outstanding physician and scholar of Unani Medicine, Hakim Ajmal Khan (1868 – 1927) championed the cause of the Unani System in India.
- The eligibility of the course is that He / She should pass 12thstandard with minimum 50% marks in aggregate in physics, chemistry and biology from a recognized college or university.
- Candidate must also be proficient in Urdu. He/she should have expertise in the language up to 10th standard level. Otherwise he/she should have had Urdu as an optional language in 11th and 12th Science stream.
- The regulation body of Unani education is Central Council of Indian Medicine (CCIM) in India. Students can appear in NEET(National Level Exam), KEAM (state level exam) for admission in BUMS course.
- The candidate should be minimum 17years old.
Curriculum of 1ST, 2ND And 3RD PROFESSIONAL KAMIL-E-TIB-WA- JARAHAT (BUMS) Course
- Arabic and Mantiq wa Falsifa
- Kulliyat Umoore Tabiya
- Tashreehul Badan
- Munafeul Aaza
- Tahaffuzi wa Samaji Tib
- Mahiyatul Amraz
- Communication Skills
- Ilmul Saidla wa Murakkabat
- Tibbe Qanooni wa Ilmul Samoom
- Sareeriyat wa Usoole Ila
- Ilaj Bit Tadbeer
BUMS is an Undergraduate Degree course. The course Duration is 5½ years. 4½ years are dedicated towards academic program & 1 year is dedicated towards internship.
In case of most of the medical courses, pursuing a postgraduate course is of much importance. Similar is the case of Unani medicine. BUMS graduates may go for PG Courses and boost their career prospects by completing them. The most popular ones are- MD-Unani (Doctor of Medicine) and MS-Unani (Master of Surgery) courses. Both of them are 3 years long PG courses.
PG Diploma Unani courses (2 years long) are also present, which BUMS graduates may pursue. Graduates may use the above mentioned PG Unani courses to specialize in any specific discipline. Some such areas of specialization are-
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- ENT and Ophthalmology
- Preventive and Social Medicine
The Career Opportunities in Unani and its related fields such as Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Siddha, Naturopathy and Yoga are bright. Since, for a large number of diseases and disorders, Unani has a big say in the management and treatment of them. Numerous job opportunities are present in Government as well as Private sector for BUMS graduates. Self-employment is another good option available in front of them. Graduates may start practicing Unani medicine system as ‘Hakims’ (Doctor). Graduates will be able to find such a job in Government as well as Private Unani hospitals, Nursing homes and Health centres
They may also found job in following areas: –
- Unani Consultant
- Lecturer / Instructor
- Private practice
- Medical assistant
- Public health specialist
- Drug Inspector
- Research Officer
Here some of the employment areas for the professionals who have done the BUMS programme:
- Unani Hospitals (Government and private)
- Government Drug Units
- Unani Pharmaceutical Industry
- Unani training institutes/colleges
- Unani Nursing homes
- Research bodies
- Drug Control Boards
In the government sector, one may join as Medical Officer advertised through different Public Service Commission such as
- Union Public Service Commission
- Rajasthan Public Service Commission
- Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission
- Culcutta Public Service Commission
- Bihar Public Service Commission
- Maharashtra Public Service Commission, etc.