Scope in MBBS: Admission 2019, Career, duration, eligibility, Internship, Jobs & Salary
Scope in MBBS : Medical line is quite tough compared to engineering. The MBBS course is 5 years long compared to BE which is 4 years only. After completing MBBS you have many options for furthering your career. A Medical Degree has been never easy. MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) is the most popular and designated degree of doctors. These are the two bachelor degrees in one domain as the Bachelor of Medicine and the Bachelor of Surgery. This is the tradition of United Kingdom and many universities in various countries are following this tradition.
While in the US, both of the degrees are awarded separately as the M.D (Doctor of Medicine) and D.O (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine). It is the only bachelor degree that makes the students eligible to carry the term “doctor” with their name.
The MBBS is an undergraduate degree programme in medical field. It takes the duration of 5.5 years for the completion of the degree. It is very tough to pursue the MBBS course. This course is now in heavy demand by the students after 12th.
Course & Duration
The MBBS is a 5.5 year (4.5 years academic education + 1 year mandatory internship) UG degree programme leading to the two degrees as Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.
The MBBS is one of the most sought courses after 12th science in medical field. There are so many colleges and universities from across the countries which are offering the MBBS course.
The students, who have cleared the 10+2 examination and they had the Physics, Chemistry and Biology in 12th stream, may go for the MBBS degree course.
The MBBS is the only course in India to become a medical doctor. The MBBS course contains the basic subjects like physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, anatomy, pharmacology and pathology.
It is the course with hands on training with five years long. The students interact with the patient and get the practical knowledge of diseases.
The skills required to make a career in MBBS:
- Ability to work with a team
- Deep interest in being a helping professional
- Good Stamina
- Responsible Attitude
- Patience and Compassion
- Constant updating of skills and knowledge
- Mental alertness at all times
Eligibility & Admission
How to get admission into MBBS programme?
- To get admission into MBBS programme in India, students have to complete their 10+2 education with Physics, Chemistry & Biology and score minimum 50% marks (40% in the case of reserved category).
- Student’s age should be between 17 years to 25 years.
- The given qualification is not enough to get admission into MBBS course, students have to appear for the National Level Examination conducted by the CBSE, New Delhi, i.e. NEET (National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test). Students also apply for AIIMS & JIPMER MBBS Entrance Exam to get admission into MBBS programme.
- From the year 2016, the Supreme Court bans the state level or university level examinations for admission into MBBS & BDS courses.
- Now, all the admission into MBBS course through NEET Exam.
Top Universities/Institutions in India offer MBBS Course:
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS)
- Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC)
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)
- Christian Medical College (CMC)
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
Syllabus of MBBS degree (semester wise)-
Total number of semesters-9
- Semester 1-2 (Pre-clinical): Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology.
- Semester 3-5 (Para-clinical): Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Clinical postings, OPDs.
- Semester 6-9 (Clinical): Community medicine and allied subjects (Psychiatry, Dermatology), Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Surgery and allied subjects, Clinical postings.
Internship (12 months)-
- Medicine- aspecialty of duration 1.5 months.
- Surgery- Specialty of duration 1.5 months.
- Rural- aspecialty of duration 3 months.
- Pediatrics- aspecialty of duration 1 month.
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology- aspecialty of duration 1 month.
- Casualty- duration 1month
- Anaesthesiology- duration 15 days
- Ophthalmology- duration 15 days
- Elective- duration 2 months
Duration of theinternship is of great importance for becoming a complete doctor as the internship phase gives a hands-on experience of themedical field. Students get stipend during internships.
After successfulcompletion of the semesters and internships, one gets the degree of MBBS. After getting MBBS degree, the person gets the prestigious gift of adding ‘Dr.’ against his/her name.
The salary of MBBS degree holder depends on the amount of knowledge and experience he/she has. The starting salary is about 30k per month. After getting enough experience and good hands in this field, a doctor may earn about 10-15 lakh per annum.