Civil Engineering: Admission Process, Courses, Specialzation, Jobs, salary
Civil Engineering is the very essence of Engineering and also one of the oldest and important branches of it. Civil engineering (CS) is about designing, building and maintaining various types of infrastructure, such as airports, bridges, buildings, tunnels, roads, dams or sewage systems.
Everything from the household buildings to the space stations requires extensive knowledge of Civil Engineering. Irrelevant to the size, a civil engineer is responsible for any or all the planning, developing, executing, and further maintaining of the infrastructural project.
Furthermore, Civil Engineering is active in both the public and private sector, for example in municipality projects, and real estate countries.
This particular course enjoys the mainstream appreciation because of its need in everyday life.
“Civil Engineering is the art and mechanism of directing the power in nature for use and convenience of man. It is an art to create the developed world around us.”
Course & Duration
The academic criterion of civil engineering is divided in three courses/programmes as follows:
- Diploma courses leading to the polytechnic diploma of 3 years duration.
- UG courses leading to the B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) degree of 4 years duration.
- PG courses leading to the M.Tech (Master of Technology) degree of 2 years duration.
Beside these, it is one of the broad research fields leading to the PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree.
Some other courses are listed below:
- Advance Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Civil & Rural Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Ceramics & Cement Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil Infrastructure Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Civil & Transportation Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Civil Structural Design
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Building Technology & Construction Management
- After the completion of 10th standard, you are only eligible to enter the diploma courses. Once you have done the 12th standard you are fully eligible to choose the UG (B.Tech) programme.
Civil engineering is concerned with the overall interface of human created fixed projects with the greater world. General civil engineers work closely with surveyors and specialized civil engineers to design grading, drainage, pavement, water supply, sewer service, dams, electric and communications supply. General civil engineering is also referred to as site engineering, a branch of civil engineering that primarily focuses on converting a tract of land from one usage to another.
- Coastal engineering
- Construction engineering
- Earthquake engineering
- Environmental engineering
- Forensic engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Materials science and engineering
- Outside plant engineering
- Structural engineering
- Transportation engineering
Some good colleges to pursue civil engineering are given here:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Trichy
- National Institute of Technology (NIT), Surathkal
- NHAI (National Highway Authority of India)
- PWD (Public Works Department)
- Power Grid Corporation
- State Power Corporation Limited
- Real Estate Builders
- Civil Infrastructure Companies( Jaypee Group, Nagarjuna Sagar)
- Lanco Infratech Limited
- Hindustan Construction Company
In India, a student who has cleared the degree in civil engineering can get the offer of salary started from 5 lakh per annum upto 20+ lakh per annum.